Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Adolscent Lit. Response 7/1/08 PR, C

Block, F. L. (1989). Weetzie Bat. New York: Harper & Row.

Weetzie Bat is a “quick read” that describes common-law marriage, gay marriage, children out of wedlock, abortion and AIDS, all in a vivid and at times, humorously descriptive, sometimes Disney environment. Actually, the story takes place in Hollywood and even though I have never been to this part of Los Angeles, I think it is was well depicted. This book by all means, pushes itself to the limits and I think it would grab and hold the attention of a mature pre-teen and teenagers interested in the subject manner at hand.

As a middle school librarian, I would not feel comfortable having this particle book in my collection. I have been call to explain myself and my book selections one too many times. Personally, I feel adolescents have First Amendment Rights, however, many parents do not feel the same way I do! Weetzie Bat, has the themes middle school, high school and college students are attracted to, there are blended family issues, homosexuality issues, love issues, drug abuse issues, rape issues, AIDS issues and the I don’t want to grow-up, fairy tale issues. This book, in its own raunchy way is a “coming-of-age” book in its own right. I know students are interested in all the subject matters cover in Weetzie Bat. My school’s collection has several books that deal with the same issues, just maybe not as straight shooting as this book. I have come across sixth grade students, who when let loose in the middle school Library Media Center for the first time, seek out books independently and present books on the above mentioned themes at the check-out. Although, I do not censor the book collection, I tell the students sincerely, “if this book dos not match your family’s values, please stop reading it, return the book and make another selection.” Seventh graders and eight graders usually know better than to fill their parents in on the details of the books they have stashed in their backpacks. Boys and girls are equally interested in “coming-of-age” information founding literature.

What makes this book captivating is that the author, Francesca Lia Block, tells the story in a flowing, breezy voice, which is very attractive to teens. She has an artful wordplay and is hip to pop-culture. The main character, Weetzie is confusing at times but, isn’t that what growing-up is all about? The reader is constantly in critical thinking mode when reading this tale. Text to Self connections are expressed on practically every page. This book defiantly has the power to take the reader and stretch like Silly Puddy™ and expand their thinking and views on cultures that might not match their “white bread & butter” upbringing.

No comments: