Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Adolescent Lit. Response 7/9/08 PR, C, S

Anderson, L. H. (2007). Twisted. New York: Viking.

I totally agree with the YALSA’s award of “Best Books for Young Adults-2008”. This book has everything a teen is looking for in the genre of Realist Fiction! Laurie Halse Anderson is fantastic in my opinion, at exploring the feeling and desires of adolescents. She taps into adolescent development and address the physical, mental, emotional and social stages with experience. While reading, insight to contemporary issues are engaging and allows for text-to-self connections. Twisted is right there and immediately grips the reader and motivates them to continue to identify with the main character, Tyler Miller who is bullied at his high school.

Moral development is a hot topic with teens and this book displays social conflicts and “doing the right thing”. It begins with Tyler paying this social responsibility for a huge mistake he made during the final weeks of his Junior year of high school. The first chapters set-up and begin us to the beginning of his Senior year and proceed through the semester. Interpersonal relationships, family problems and coming-of-age situations are cited on every page. Tyler struggles to find meaning in himself, his parents and the community. His first-person voice illustrates his emotional anguish as he deals with grades, sex, alcohol and family matters. At times, it seems that life is spiraling out of control and Tyler has to deal with being alienated at school and his parents too! I think everyone can feel the authentic drama being played out and can relate to the crisis points.

Life is complicated and it makes great reading! I’m placing this book on my “Must Read” List! This book most definitely lingers and yearns for discussion. It took me back to memories of my high school days and issues that I thought were extremely important and it also brought me up to speed on new spins on these issues for the teenagers of today. I enjoyed the comic undertones of Tyler and pained at his destructive thoughts. I can not deny that I have to say… been there and done that! I give this book four stars and feel I can stand behind my endorsement and recommendation.

No comments: