Tuesday, July 24, 2007

What's a Principal to do?

TECHNOLOGY IN ITs PLACE, once again hits the nail on the head for me in Chapter Seven penned by George S. Perry, Jr. and Ronald J. Areglado. This book was like written for me sometimes I think. Would you believe that the McDonald's Middle School is getting a new principal. Luckily, I have not been able to have lunch with the new Prince-I-Pal. I've been too busy with my blogging, etc. I have had a lot of apprehension, about our new leader since, I feel the school has a lot of excess baggage. Now that I have read chapter seven, I know I will approach any interment with the "new" principal with parade of questions on his leadership and focus. I will therefore, use this blog to post reminders for me when regular school resumes and I'm running around my library media center being LMC Teacher-extraordinaire. Like, ...
#1 How will you (new principal) establish a sense of urgency ?
People need a reason to change.."doing business as usual " sends implicit and explicit messages that reinforce complacency and resistance to change...like duh...
#2 Creating a Guiding Condition.. what is your position of power? what is your expertise? how d you establish creditability? where should I look for leadership?
#3 Developing a Vision and Strategy...clue me in anytime Mr.Principal. I'm probably the most open in this school to off the wall ideas!
#4 Communicating the Vision,,yo Mr.Principal.. do you realize that close to 600 patrons visit the LMC everyday, I have multiple chances to be your Advocate...please keep me your inner-realm.
#5 Empowering Employees for Broad-Based Action...see above. I'm know them all and I hear them coming.
#6 Generating Short-Term Wins.. well good luck here! Change most definitely accelerates the process!
#7 Consolidating Gains to Produce Deeper Change...Celebrations, yep that's the best bet with this group!
#8 Anchoring Change in the Culture...well, you have me for a while! The best advice here is to engage in p\perpetual conversations that are grounded in evidence that change is not only occurring but is serving the vision that drives it!

Now, to conclude let's not forget that the principal's direct involvement does not ensure success, but its absence guarante4e's failure in the quest for improved instruction through technology.

No comments: