Saturday, July 14, 2007

Tech & Learning

In Chapter 4 of Technology in Its Place, we travel across the Baltic Ocean to Finland, where a great thinker and professor by the name of Sonna Jarveld offers practical and theoretical guidance to us in struggling America on the pedagogical value of technology investment. Based on naturalistic modes of inquiry, Ms.Jarvela presents concrete examples of qualitative research that have generated persuasive evidence about the power of appropriately planned technology applications to promote learning.
I would like to share a little story with you, when I awake in the morning, two thoughts race through my mind; should I "enjoy" the day or should I "advocate" today? Of course, this is very perplexing and even when I'm in the shower, I am usually still debating this question, but by the time I dry my hair I know the answer! As an Advocate of Technology, I try to stress to everyone I meet in person and virtually, that WORLD CLASS LEARNERS, need the latest and greatest technology available. They also need to be taught that connecting to the internet could be compared to walking down a random street in an unfamiliar area. In both situations, the user need to be aware and cautious. Administrators and educators must have clear visions or perspectives, priorities and a plan. We must prepare learners for participation in an informational and communicational society in which knowledge will be the most critical capital asset for social and economic development. There is no doubt that, educators and administrators need to find better pedagogical methods to meet the rapidly changing world.

No comments: